‘Old Yuleba’ was the town of Yuleba, which was originally settled back in 1865, proclaimed on the 23rd May 18721 and was located on the Yuleba Creek. The town reserve was 640 acres, situated on the pastoral holding of `Moongool’, 11 Kms from the current location of the town. In October 1879 the town moved to the railway crossing further up the Yuleba Creek which was officially called Baltinglass. Baltinglass was resumed from Inglebogie run and was proclaimed on the 9th October 1878. The original town was also 640 acres but was extended the following year to 1920 acres, also resumed from InglebogieThis town had recently been modernised with the arrival of the railway. Baltinglass was basically commandeered to be the new Yuleba in 1879 but people continued to live at Old Yuleba until a flood in 1910 convinced them to make the final move to the new location. Houses from (Old) Yuleba were moved into Baltinglass by way of horse or bullock drawn drays. There are still two houses remaining in Yuleba which were shifted in from Old Yuleba. The name of Baltinglass was eventually changed to Yuleba in 1901, which was when the other location became known as Old Yuleba. Yuleba was later misspelled Yeulba and then around 1939 reverted back to Yuleba. There have been as numerous different spellings for the town as there is for pronouncing it. Spellings have been: Yuleba; Yeulba; Eulebah; Ulebah; Yulebah; Eulobah. When trying to teach people to pronounce the name, there is the story of the grazier trying to catch a bolting sheep, yelling out after it “You’ll baa after I catch you..!” The Yuleba Creek has also had an naming confusion as it is believed that it was originally named Horse Track Creek or Lost Horse Creek by Ludwig Leichhardt in his 1847 expedition. Tom Archer had also been conducting his first expedition in the area at the same time, looking for a large sheep pasturing run and meeting up with Leichhardt at Warra.
Bendemere Shire, an area of 3940 sq km, and generally 370 km north-west of Brisbane and 60 km east of Roma, was amalgamated with four other local government areas in 2008 to form Roma Regional Council. The former shire was bisected by the Warrego Highway, where two of the shire’s three main towns, Yuleba and Wallumbilla, are located (the third major settlement being Jackson). The shire’s administrative centre was Yuleba.
The shire, named after the Bendemere pastoral station (1851), was created in 1911 by severance from Bungil Shire (to the west) and parts of Murilla and Warroo Shires.
The main western railway runs parallel to the Warrego Highway, and was constructed through the Bendemere district in 1879. Although the main areas of habitation predated the railway, they were strengthened by its arrival and by the emergence of farm selections during the 1880s-90s along the transport corridor.
Apart from the sawmill, the main primary production was grazing – sheep, meat cattle and local dairying. During the 1920s there was a severe prickly pear infestation, particularly south of the Warrego Highway. Removal of the pest opened up better prospects for wheat growing. Despite the recovery of productive land, the changes in post-war agriculture have led to a one-third reduction in the shire’s population between 1960 and 2000. The shire also benefited economically from the natural gas industry.
In 1993 Bendemere Shire had nearly 900,000 sheep, 143,000 lambs, 70,000 beef cattle, 40,000 ha under cereals and 11,000 ha under other field crops. About 30% of the shire is tree-covered, including Australia’s largest cypress pine stand near Yuleba. The shire’s census populations were: http://queenslandplaces.com.au/node/77